Sunday, December 26, 2010

An Introduction and an Explanation

A 2008 survey showed that 76% of Americans identified themselves as a member of the Christian faith.  To say that their faith has an influence on the daily running of this country would be an understatement.
But, which flavor of Christianity do you prefer?  Catholic, Baptist, Greek Orthodox, Jehovah's Witness, Methodist?  The options are quite extensive. 1*.

The one thing they do have in common (other than a belief in the divinity of Jesus, of course) is the Holy Bible.  But then again we have the issue/problem that there are many versions.  Logos Bible Software lists over 40 versions.  The first widely available bible was the King James Version. 2*.  First published in 1604, it continues to be one of the most influential.  Although the English Standard Version is very popular today, The King James Bible has arguably had a greater influence, and frankly makes for a better blog title.

Which brings me to my goal; I, Bruce Critelli,  plan to read the bible in one year - and you're invited to read along.
If you don't own a paper copy, you can read the King James Version here; the English Standard Version here.  You can also read the Skeptics Annotated Bible here.

I'll be reading the Logos Bible for the iPhone.  They have broken the Bible up into 365 easily digestible sections.  Each section will only take a few minutes a day to read.  You could read an entire week's worth in well under an hour.

I'll post the upcoming reading at the beginning of every week and in a daily post.  When I'm inspired, I'll throw in a question to spark conversation.

This brings me to my next point.  I'm not totally sure where this project will go once it starts but, I want to at least get people to actually read the Bible.  Many people say they read or have read the Bible, but once  you ask them a few questions about its contents, these claims turn out to be mostly false.

We'll be starting on January 1, 2011 with Genesis 1-3.

* I use Wikipedia as a starting point for information.  While it is a good resource, it should not be used as an infallible source.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment