Saturday, October 8, 2011

Book of Jeremiah 10-12 They have sown wheat, but shall reap thorns:

Jeremiah 10-12

God disapproves of your Christmas tree.

10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

God is sad because people won't set up his tabernacle.  Did he forget that 'God helps those who help themselves'?
10:19 Woe is me for my hurt! my wound is grievous; but I said, Truly this is a grief, and I must bear it.

10:20 My tabernacle is spoiled, and all my cords are broken: my children are gone forth of me, and they are not: there is none to stretch forth my tent any more, and to set up my curtains.

I thought you were SUPPOSED to pray for sinners?  Does this mean that no one is praying for my salvation? :-(
11:14 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up a cry or prayer for them: for I will not hear them in the time that they cry unto me for their trouble.

We haven't seen God commit genocide in a while.  
11:22 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will punish them: the young men shall die by the sword; their sons and their daughters shall die by famine:
11:23 And there shall be no remnant of them: for I will bring evil upon the men of Anathoth, even the year of their visitation.


All in all, Jeremiah just seems cranky today.





Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. @Bruce,

    I like the part about the Christmas tree. I will try to use that verse this year for my protest of Christmas. ;-)

    I thought you were SUPPOSED to pray for sinners? Does this mean that no one is praying for my salvation? :-(
    Ok you might just be joking around here, however for those that might take this comment seriously.

    Yes we are SUPPOSED to pray for sinners. (Matthew 5:44; Like 6:28; 1 Timothy 2:1-6) Christians know sinners are headed for damnation yet we must pray for them that they may turn and live.

    However this is directed at Jeremiah to not pray for the people. It's to be taken in context with the proceeding verses. These people had set up false gods and rejected the one true God. So when He brings calamity upon them, they will first go to their false gods, get no help, then cry out to Jeremiah to pray to the real I AM. At which point it's hopeless for them. God also tells Jeremiah this in 7:16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bruce,

    As for 11:22 we read in 11:21 that these men were seeking Jeremiah's life. God told Him in 1:8 Be no afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. God is just keeping His word. (I Peter 4:19)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Edward,
    Thanks for the info.
    I don't see the point in protesting X-Mas. Easter is the real problem holiday.

    ReplyDelete