Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Song of Solomon 5-8 and my bowels were moved for him

Song of Solomon 5-8

I reread the entire book after reading the great comments from Abbie and Andy in the previous post.

Abbie's interpretation makes the most sense to me, that it's a wedding song, sung between the bride, groom and chorus.
Andy, I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that it's "a metaphor for Christ's love for his church".  Perhaps you could give some samples from the text that would indicate this line of thinking.

The text is very colorful and bright and uses some great euphemisms for body parts and sex!

But, why is it in the Bible?  Did the editors put it in as an ApĂ©ritif or digestif to cleanse our palette from the previous books and set us up for the rest of the OT?

As an aside, I thought this guy was funny, if not a little over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment