Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Book of Isaiah 40-43 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd

Isaiah 40-43

We get another early (pre-New testament) reference to shepherds, lambs and flocks that will become the running theme in Christianity.

40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

40:18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?
A ton of people think Eric Clapton is God.

I personally prefer Bob Mould.

We learn that Isaiah himself is the LORD God!
41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.
This is in the first person form and the Bible is all true, so....  ;-)

God makes the bold statement that he is the one and only God in existence but, he he proclaims that his existence is finite!!!  He's mortal!!!

43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
He goes on to proclaim that he is the only way to be saved.

Chapters 42-43 are stuffed with meaty goodness but rather confusing to this humble reader.
God seems to be saying 'I love you Israel.  You are my favorite people and I'll bless you, even though you are sinners and repeatedly disobey me.'


What do you think?  Is God getting a soft heart for the blight of the Israelites?  Is he still disappointed in them but like a parent, helping them out begrudgingly?








Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. @Bruce,
    41:4
    he he proclaims that his existence is finite!!! He's mortal!!!

    No Bruce read that again, "the first" think before anything was I AM!
    and with the last. He is not the last, He is with the last. I may be the last person giving a ready defence yet i know God is with me.

    Is God getting a soft heart for the blight of the Israelites?
    No, just letting them know He won't utterly destroy them. 42:6; God is going to bring something great from these people. That being Jesus Christ.
    Is he still disappointed in them but like a parent, helping them out begrudgingly?

    No God made a covenant and He will not break it. He told Moses that He could rise up a nation from him alone. A remnant is more than enough for God to work with. (Deuteronomy 9:14)

    ReplyDelete