Deuteronomy 19-21 Skeptics Annotated Bible
We get a repeat on the Cities of Refuge and a very specific example on who can flee to a city.
"Um, yeah, we were chopping wood in the forest. I draged his body back to my kitchen later to try and help him."
We also get good advice on trusting witnesses. The penalty for perjury was a little harsher back in those days (Death).
God tells us in Chapter 20 that there are ways to get out of going to war. New house? New farm? New virgin wife? No problem. See you when you're done. Cowards are also exempt.
God is easing up on the mass extermination rule by allowing women and children to survive as slaves. They are now the spoils of war. But this only applies to the cities they'll conquer in the promised land.
We still see that God is hateful of people who have different beliefs at 20:17
Destroy everything but save the trees that bear fruit. Sounds reasonable.
We come back to laws and justice in 21 (again, who did the editing?!?!) but what a bizarre collection!
1. If you find a murdered man in the field, cut off a cows head and have the priests wash their hands over it. This ritual is basically the priests saying "we didn't do it."
2. If you win a battle and find a beautiful woman, you may take her as a wife but first she must shave her head, cut her nails, get naked and mourn her parents (who you killed) for a month. Only then can you have sex with her. If you find out you don't really like her, you can let her go free.
3. If a man has two wives and hates one, but she gave him his firstborn son.....zzzzzz, boring.
4. Parents can have their children stoned for not behaving!
5. When you hang a man, you can't keep his body hanging over night.